Monday, November 29, 2010

Spray Paint: A Series

Project #2: Updating Light Fixtures

Difficulty Level: Moderate
Price Range: FREE!

I had several unattractive light fixtures in my home but did not have the budget to replace them.  Here are some of the fixtures I came across in my search.

Home Depot Hampton Bay Woodbridge 5 light Chandelier
$99.97

 Hampton Bay Woodbridge 5-Light Chandelier EZM8115P-2

Home Depot Design House Juneau 5 light Chandelier
$269
Design House Juneau 5-Light Oil Rubbed Bronze Chandelier 515791

Pottery Barn Audrina Chandelier
$149

Audrina Chandelier, 4-arm, Rustic Bronze finish

I like the look of exposed bulbs... it gives the chandelier a more modern feel in my opinion.  So I took the absolutely horrible builders-grade chandelier that came in our dining room and gave it a spray paint makeover.

Before:


During:



After:




Disconnecting and rewiring the chandelier was by far the most difficult part of the whole process.  Before disconnecting/hanging any electrical product make sure the circuit breaker is OFF!  The wires are color coordinated most of the time and there should only be three total (one red, one black, and the ground wire which is copper).

Next I needed to update an hideous bathroom light fixture.  Again, it was cheap builders grade but my options were limited.

Pottery Barn Sussex Double Sconce
$99

Sussex Sconce, Double, Antique Bronze finish

I even checked Walmart.  I found the TransGlobe Lighting New Century 8.5" Wall Sconce but it was still $70.20!

In the end, I spray painted my own.  And I did it while it was on the wall!  Just taped a whole bunch of newspaper around the fixture after removing the shades and bulbs.  Turned out perfect and not one stray spot of spray paint.


Check tomorrow to see how I updated several home decor items around my house!

Blessings,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment