Sunday, November 28, 2010

Spray Paint: A Series

Project #1: Curtains rods and hardware
Difficulty Level: Easy
Price Range: $10-15 per set depending on what type of curtain hangers you get (clips, ribbon, etc)


I love spray paint.  LOVE IT!  Want to know what you can spray paint?  EvErYtHiNg!  And I have.  Seriously.  Over the next several days I will feature a variety of items that I have spray painted while offering lots of tips on the "dos" and "do nots" of spray painting.

I love the look of oil rubbed bronze spray paint.  I do not love the price.  Have you noticed my issues with money yet?  I am cheap and proud of it and living with no credit card debt and intending to keep it that way.  Maybe my next series should focus on money saving tips and my obsession with vinegar?!?!  Ok, back on topic.  Here are some items that inspired me.

Pottery Barn Standard Drape Rod in Antique Bronze finish
Small (28-48 in) $99

PB Standard Oversized 1.25" diam. Drape Rod, Small, Antique Bronze finish, Ball Finial

Pottery Barn Clips and Round Rings 
Set of 7 (two sets required per pair of drapes) $21
Clip Rings, Set of 7, Small, Antique Bronze

Total, before adding in the drapes themselves, equals $142!!!  Seriously!?!?!?!  For drapery hardware!  Who has that kind of money?  And even if you have money, why would anyone want to spend so much on something that will almost entirely covered by a drape!?!?!

Well, I made my own.  For under $20.  Take that Pottery Barn!

Step One: Purchase oil rubbed bronze spray paint from the HD for around $6




Step Two: Purchase dowel rods from HD and have the cute guy work the lumber section cut them down for you.  Haul them home and drown them in spray paint.  I also spray painted the closet hardware I purchased from HD.  These allowed me to easily mount my drapery rods.


Step Three: Put on a second coat.  Wait for the to dry.  Hang them up!  That's it.




I used these wooden dowel rods in two different rooms.  The drapery clips pictured above were purchased for $6 from Michaels.  

Tomorrow I will focus on updating lighting with spray paint!

To learn how to make the curtains featured in my pictures, check out my canvas series.

Blessings,

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment