Sunday, November 7, 2010

Canvas Crazy: A Series

I am a bit addicted to canvas... as in painters canvas drop cloths that you can purchase at Home Depot for CHEAP!  Over the summer they ran a special... two 9x6 drop cloths for $10.  Can't beat that!

Project #1: Curtains

Difficulty level: Easy
Price Range: $10-20 per window depending on size

I wanted neutral curtains for three rooms in my house... FOUR windows in all.  I looked at Pottery Barn and could have ordered curtains, rods, and clips from them for around $600 (buying their "cheap" cotton drapes).  My total for all four windows, including hardware, was $77.  Actually, it was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but two of the windows are double windows and all curtains had to be floor to ceiling.

Drop cloths - $20
Wooden dowels (made into curtain rods) - $12
Curtain clips - 6+6+10+10 = $32
Spray paint - $6
Mounting hardware - $7
Ribbon - free (had it from another project)

Here are the drop clothes... make sure you wash them before using in case they shrink.

(Excuse the horrible picture quality)

I purchased wooden dowel rods from Home Depot and had a nice gentleman cut them down to the appropriate size in the store.  I brought those babies home and gave them a quick sanding and two coats of Oil Rubbed Bronze (I will be featuring a series on ORB shortly).


The hardware is simply closet brackets that I sprayed to match.

While waiting for the spray paint to dry, I cut and sewed my curtains (if sewing is not your things, iron-on adhesive works just fine).


These are the final products with some details included.

Window #1


These curtains were hung on a spray painted dowel rod using closet brackets.  I sewed ribbon loops instead of using curtain clips because the ribbon is CHEAP and adds nice detail.  Plus, you can use any color of ribbon you want!

Window #2



These curtains are puddled at the bottom and hung from fancy-shmancy curtain clips.

Window #3



I actually used black spray paint on this dowel rod and slightly larger curtain clips.  I then broke a drill bit attempting to hollow out a baseball to stick on the end... but it was totally worth it!!!

Window #4

 These are technically hung from the wall using closet brackets.  There is a nook in the game room that is slowly being turned into my craft space.  The curtains hide the chaos!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed... four windows, two days, $77 = one happy crafter!

Blessings to all,

Jen

9 comments:

  1. Wow, these are drop cloths?? I'm gonna have to keep this in mind. I need curtains all over the house. I really love these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer tipped me off to your blogginess, and I'll be adding you to my hot new blogs feature next Friday if that's cool with you! GREAT project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome! This is what I need to do in my living room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all my first "readers" to leave comments! I now understand why people Blog... I have read decorating and craft blogs religiously for several years and decided to offer some input! Thank you for your comments and I pray you have a week filled with blessings!

    You can really spice up the curtains by adding wide width ribbon around the edges or by sewing a strip of fabric in another color! Please share any ideas you have!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, neat Idea. You could also use RIT dye to make these any color you needed...wow! now my thoughts are going crazy with what I could do to my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great drop-cloth project! ~Heidi
    (found you via Metamorphosis Monday)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a cute idea with the baseball--perfect for my sons room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love those drop cloths. Beautiful job! 4 windows for $77 is unheard of. Thank you so much for linking!

    Hugs,
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  9. DOIN IT! Just wondering if you can buy a 9x12 ft seamless canvas?

    ReplyDelete