Saturday, November 13, 2010

Canvas Crazy: A Series

Project #5: Christmas Stockings

Difficulty Level: Easy
Price Range: Free!

So this year I am committed to not spend a single dime on Christmas decorations.  Even if I make something, I can only use supplies I already own!  I have been wanting new stockings for two years but am shocked at how expensive they are.  Here are some I found:

Pottery Barn $19 x 4 stockings = more than I am willing to spend on stockings



Ballard $34 x 4 stockings = I do not want to discuss this issue


I do love the natural look of the Ballard design, so I chose to utilize by trusty canvas material, some craft glue, and newspaper to make my own.

Step 1: Determine the appropriate size for the stocking... I used an old stocking I had in the attic.  Make sure you allow enough length to create a cuff (hence why the stocking in the photo looks funny).


Step 2: Create a template.  I used newspaper and traced around the blue stocking to get the correct shape.  I grabbed the first piece of newspaper I could find and it was the Hobby Lobby ad!!!  God is testing me but I am determined to stay strong.  I cut right through the 40% off coupon and never looked back.


Step 3: Use the template to trace and cut out as many stockings as you desire... I wanted to make four total so I had eight pieces.


Step 4: Use fabric glue and glue to stockings together with the "good sides" facing each other.  Let dry for several hours.


Step 5: Once the stockings are dry, turn them right side out and fold over the cuff.



This is the final product.  I still need to iron the edges flat and embellish each stocking with ribbon and other craft goodies!

Hope you are enjoying the beginning of the holiday season!

Blessings,

Jen

3 comments:

  1. These are cute, I like that you used a drapery ring to hold the stockings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I would love for you to come link up at my Strut Your Stuff party!

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/strut-your-stuff-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start!! I'm so uber excited about Christmas, is it almost here. I've been painting, patching, creating and staying up late just get ready for family, friends and blessed times. Are you?
    www.bargaincornerdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete